Be Sure You Are Counted on April 1, 2020!
The Illinois Complete Count Commission was formed in 2017 with a mission to help educate communities, organizations and Illinois Residents about the importance of the upcoming 2020 census.
On April 1, 2020, a census will be taken of all persons living in the United States. It is important that every Illinois resident be counted so our state population accurately reflects our needs. While many Illinoisans will answer the census questionnaire when it arrives, some demographics are consistently undercounted due to low participation. Among the groups historically undercounted in the census:
- Minority communities;
- College students;
- Foreign born Illinois residents (documented and undocumented);
- Retirees spending summer in Illinois and winter in warmer climates;
- Farm families residing in rural counties;
- Persons living in large housing units or apartment complexes;
- Children under age 5; and the
The importance of participating in the census cannot be understated. Responses to the census questionnaire are kept confidential by the U.S. Census Bureau. The information is not shared with other federal or state government agencies.
The Commission has formed Subcommittees to help with education and outreach efforts. As an Illinois resident, you are encouraged to become involved. You can join a Subcommittee or form a local Complete Count Committee with your local community leaders. It is important for you to:
- EDUCATE your community about the 2020 Census and the importance of participation with census takers when they visit local neighborhoods.
- ENCOURAGE trusted community partners, such as churches and neighborhood organizations, to motivate their members to respond to the census questionnaire.
- ENGAGE grass roots organizations in your community to reach out to residents in hard-to-count groups and those who are not motivated to respond to the census questionnaire.
- Secretary of State Jesse White, Chair
- Emil Jones, III
- Theresa Mah
- Juan Carlos Linares
Office of the Mayor of Chicago
- Jackie Petty
Peoria County Park District
- Rose Joshua, Esq.
NAACP Chicago Southside
- Kathie Kane-Willis
Chicago Urban League
- Leon Rockingham, Jr.
Mayor, City of North Chicago
- Karen Eng
- Eira L. Corral Sepúlveda
Village Clerk, Hanover Park
- Sue Rezin
- Ryan Spain
- Stanley Moore
Cook County Board of Commissioners
- Griselda Vega Samuel, Esq.
- Kristy Stephenson
City of Metropolis
- Scott R. Gryder
Chair, Kendall County Board
- Michael J. Inman
Mayor, City of Macomb
- Alex Esparza
18th Street Development Corporation
- Helena Buckner
County Board Member, Macon County